comes from the name of a booming
construction town, which was established with around 1000 inhabitants in 1893.
At this time the town was growing with settlers, traders and get-rich-quick
people, many living in tents, shacks and other makeshift structures. No churches
or church services were established - only several saloons; hence the town
became known as “Whiskey Flats.” The rapids or cascades near the Whiskey Flats
area were a serious hazard, blocking passage for pioneers up the Columbia River.
In 1878 the government funded construction of a canal and locks to enable river
traffic to travel more easily upriver. Upon its finish, the locks were dedicated
and opened in 1896, eventually changing the area’s name to Cascade Locks.
Cascade Locks, Oregon
is located approximately 45 minutes
east of Portland, on the south side of the Columbia River, and is in the midst
of the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. Situated in a spectacular part of the
Columbia River Gorge, the town is surrounded by outstanding scenery.
It now has a population of 1095, and is situated
directly across the river from our sister city of Stevenson Washington.
History of the Beautiful Columbia Gorge:
Bridge of the Gods